There is a lot to cover in this newsletter! Make sure to mark your calendar of upcoming events. Check out the highlights from our BBQ and the State Championships. Also, good luck JOAD archers who are traveling or will soon be traveling to Raleigh, NC for the National Outdoor Target Championships!
Now that we have land, it is time to make the magic happen! Here is a list of upcoming events. We need volunteers, coaches, and donors. Help us make Central Texas Archery the premier home for archers.
July 23 : Coaches Meeting
– 7:00-8:30 pm
– 4701 Highland Terrace, Austin TX 78731 (Kat’s place)
– Introductory meeting for potential coaches. You do not have to be a USA Archery certified coach to attend this meeting. Here we will discuss the requirements and expectations of our coaches, our coaching philosophy at Central Texas Archery, and the benefits available to CTA coaches. Please RVSP to firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan on attending.
August 13 – 16: Barn Raising and Open Shooting
– 6 pm to dusk each day
– CTA field 5400 E Howard Lane, Manor, TX 78653
– Volunteers needed! We will be building a storage shed to house the CTA equipment. All are welcome to come help. We will supply drinks and have targets out. Anyone who helps part of the time can shoot on site part of the time too. We will have all of the building supplies on site as well as tools. If you bring your own tools (preferably battery powered), please make sure your name is on them. To RSVP or if you have questions, please contact Eric at Eric@CentralTexasArchery.org.
August 17: Coaches Training
– Details for this event will be provided at the Coaches meeting and via email.
September 4: Classes Begin!
– We plan to begin offering classes on September 4th. Once we have schedules for our coaches, we will make a class and fee schedule and send it out to everyone.
September 9: BBQ and Open Shoot
– We had so much fun we want to do it again! Let’s celebrate the beginning of classes (and hopefully the beginning of cooler weather)! Details to come soon but expect a similar format of shooting first with a potluck following.
October 20-21: CTA Inside Out Fall Tournament
– This will be an indoor style tournament held outside. All participants will shoot at 18 meters to kick off the beginning of indoor season.
-Watch for a separate email in the next 2 weeks with more details and registration information.
Thanks for a fabulous first event!
We are so happy about the turnout we had for the first event at the CTA field! Great shooting, great food, and lots of smiles. We especially appreciate everyone who came out and enjoyed the day with us as it ended up being 104 degrees and the hottest day of the year so far!
State was Soggy
The State Target Championship was a perfect example of Texas weather. Friday practice and Round 1 of Saturday were sunny, hot, and humid! Just as everyone began begging for things to turn a bit cooler, the clouds rolled in. We all sat thankful for 15 minutes, enjoying a light breeze and reprieve from the sun that was baking us all. And then the rain began to fall. Not long after, the thunder began to roll and the shooting had to be delayed. After a 3 hour delay, the lightning ended and it was deemed safe to resume competition. The archers spent the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday slogging through the mud. We were grateful for cooler temps from the rain on Saturday though. The powers that be did an excellent job of moving Sunday shooting along and we all managed to get finished and packed up before more rain hit the area. Archery is definitely a sport of patience and perseverance. As such, we send congratulations to Daniel and Micah for their 2nd place finishes and to Kelly for finishing 3rd! We are so proud of all our Central Texas archers and how well they represented us!
We are currently working on 2 signs that will help people find our new space. They should be up by the end of July!
Putting the FUN in FUNdraising
Thank you to our supporters who have donated!
Help CTA reach our target this summer! We are hosting a fundraising drive that will enable our non-profit to begin hosting outdoor classes this fall. Once we have our property, we have to buy basic archery equipment. The cost for equipment is $20,000. This is where we need your help. You donation to Central Texas Archery will be 100% used to purchase bows, targets, and other essentials of shooting AND is tax deductible! We can accept donations via cash, check, or by credit card with Paypal. We will be updating our website and Facebook pages to show the progress we are making. Contact Kat at (512) 689-4103 or by email at email@example.com to make a donation.
Kat, Jessica, and Eric
Central Texas Archery